Saturday, August 19, 2006

OK. So we're all a little creepy.
Quit bugging me about it.

What has 6 legs; crawls, hops, or flies; and lives in a jar in our freezer?

If you said ANY INSECT, then you are correct. To be truthfull, they don't actually live there as much as they were alive when they were put there, and now are dead there.

I am responsible for [read: to blame for] this cryo-insecto-crypto-ology.

I encourage William and DJ to make a bug collection for the county fair. I told them that, as a kid, I put the butterflies in the freezer so that I could keep them without having to crush their wings. Fast forward 25 years and my kids are doing the same thing, only they are FAR more skilled and persistant at the endeavor than I ever was.

Here is what they have so far. [mind you, only about 5-6 of these are in the freezer at any one time]

  • 6 Grasshoppers, Crickets, and Katydids
  • 3 Butterflies
  • 4 Moths (with more coming)
  • 10+ Beetles (including 2 Carrion Beetles)
  • 2 Water Beetles
  • 3 Non-Insects [spiders, ticks, centipedes]
  • And Many More to Come!!!

If you find any interesting bugs, send them our way.

1 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger Jen said...

We used to choloroform them with rubbing alcohol. Glad to know you were twisted too. You should post some photos of their colection.

Jen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home